Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why does my 87 caprice shut off when in park or when i shift to drive or reverse ?

i recently changed my distributor cap,rotor, wires, and plugs. i did not pay attention to the order of the wires. but i got the firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. on the dist cap my one position is the number two head on the left side of my distributor cap instead of the # 1 head on the left side of the distributor cap. my car fires up only when i turn the key without pressing the gas pedal, once the car is started i step on the gas to keep the engine running. the engine will run for a while, but sometimes shuts off if i dint hit the accelerator. also as soon as i shift to drive or reverse the car dies out! i can step on the accelerator then shift to drive or reverse and the car will fly in gear but will soon die out as if there is a lack of power or something. what causes this ? .



the car was shutting off before i changed anything with the ignition as if it was out of gas, a auto tech had tightened up my carburetor and it ran with out shutting off, this was a while ago, maybe a year ago, before any of this. the electric choke on the crab does not function. the are parts that are rusty and dint move. could my carb cause my car to shut off ? how do i tell if my carburetor is bad ?Why does my 87 caprice shut off when in park or when i shift to drive or reverse ?
because it's 22 years oldWhy does my 87 caprice shut off when in park or when i shift to drive or reverse ?
You probably need a new timing gear and chain set. You can tune this thing to where everything looks perfect, but there's a sore that won't heal, and that is a worn out timing gear and chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment