Monday, November 22, 2010

96 Accord V6 won't start after radiator leak?

I was sitting in a parking lot with my car running and noticed some steam from under the hood. I looked at the temp gauge and saw it was at 3/4. So, I popped the hood and saw that the fan was not on even though the temp gauge was 3/4 and I could see that the steam was coming from a very small hairline crack on the very top of the radiator near the cap that was causing the steam. I shut the car off and let it cool down. On the way home, the temp gauge fluxuated up and down but never passed 3/4. At home, I used some radiator putty (for plastic radiators like mine) to seal up the crack and filled the antifreeze back up. The next day I started the car up and test drove it to the store. It drove normal and the temp gauge stayed at the normal 1/3 level but I saw that the putty stopped the steam from spewing out but it was still leaking very slightly from there. Once home I just parked it and checked the antifreeze level again which was slightly lower but nothing major. This brings me to today, which now when I try to start the car it cranks but won't turn over. It seems so colse to turning over but won't. The battery is fully charged and I don't see any white colored gunk in the oil which I've been told leans towards head gasket/warped heads. I also sprayed starter fluid but still no help. The wires %26amp; plugs were changed a few months ago and the fuel pump ';clicks'; when I turn the key to the on position. What else could it be besides the things already mentioned and possibly the main relay or distributor. What could have changed from yesterday that now it won't start and what step should I take now? How do I check for spark or compression since fuel doesn't seem to be the problem?96 Accord V6 won't start after radiator leak?
ok, if there is an air pocket around the cpu coolant temperature sensor, then the computer does not see just how hot the engine is. and since the cpu is what controls the fans, that could be the reason that your car was running so warm(hot). in order to check the compression, you pull all of the plugs out and thread in pressure tester. crank the engine over about 5 pulses. then take a reading. and record it. all of the cylinders should be with in 10 % of each other. i do not have a book in front of me but i know that on my honda book spec minimum is 143 psi on a 1990 civic with a 1.5 liter engine. as i see it your engine should just have 2 more cylinders. while you have a plug wire loose, leave it hanging close to a part of the frame or body of the car, and have a friend crank it over so that you can look for a spark. if you do not see a blue streak, move it a little closer and try again. i will warn you dont get your fingers or any thing else too close to that spark, it bites96 Accord V6 won't start after radiator leak?
Have you checked your fuses? I would if I were you that is where a lot of problems seem to be.
I don't see anything in your adventure that should cause the starting problem. I agree about the fuel - starting fluid didn't fire it up so fuel delivery is at the bottom of the list.



Your '96 is in the range of troublesome ignition switches, so verify the warning lights come on when the ignition is in the ';run'; position. If that is okay, time to check for spark. The procedure in the first source is a good one. Look at the warning at the top of the second source - Honda ignitions handle lots of energy and it will eat your coil up if you let it. If you get spark continue with the second source, if not the prime suspect based on failure rate is the igniter (third source).

No comments:

Post a Comment