Monday, November 22, 2010

Any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury gearheads out there???

I HAVE A 1961 lINCOLN CONTINENTAL WITH A 430(REBUILT)ENGINE.I HAVE ALL NEW PARTS ON THE CAR,THE PROBLEM IS ...IT WONT ACCELERATE,IT BOGS WHEN THE ACCELERATOR IS PRESSED TO THE FLOOR BUT RUNS AT IDLE BEAUTIFULLY..I'VE CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP,DISTRIBUTOR AND POINTS,CARB,PLUGS,WIRES,CAP AND ROTOR,FUEL FILTER,FUEL LINES,AND TANK SENDING UNIT,BUT THE PROBLEM PERSISTS,CAN ANYONE HELP,OR HAVE ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS,AND HOW TO RESOLVE IT??? THANKS...........Any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury gearheads out there???
I realize you have a variety of answers, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a carburetor problem. The carb main metering is separate from the idle circuit, and that's why it idles but won't actually run.



I feel pretty sure it's not ignition related.Any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury gearheads out there???
sounds like you have a timeing chain problem,,Maybe a notch out on the gears,,
I need more information about the prior state of the motor and the state now. The stumble you are speaking of, what it there from the start of the engine install and have it become worse? Or did it start before the motor was replaced? E-mail me and we can work it out. I will also need your Dwell, current timing, the type of carburetor and current jet size, the idle speed, and any custom modifications made to the motor prior to install. If you do not have any of this information I can provide the factory settings. But as some of the things have been changed we may need to make some guesses.
I'm with car nut.I'd check the static timing.Are you sure the accelerator pump on the carb is working right?And the float levels are set right?It might be worth pulling the air cleaner and cracking the throttle with the engine off to see if it's getting a healthy shot of gas down the carb throat.Also hook a timing light to it and make sure the vacuum advance is working right.Hopefully the crank and the cam are indexed right.

I had a 63 with a 460 in it.I wish i still had it.Great car!
and i bet if you accelerate moderately as you floor it she gets up and goes-right? my bet it is the accelerator pump--real easy to check--with the engine off open the choke plate and look down the primary carburator bores. take the throttle linkage and push it back and look and see if you have two strong squirts of fuel-one squirting into each venturi--my guess is none or just a little dribble--my other guess is it is hard starting too.the accel. pump is real easy to change...if i can be of any more help let me know...and if you ever have overheating problems nobody can figure out..let me know..cuz those engines 410/430 have 3 thermostats in them--i think the 368 does also

No comments:

Post a Comment