Monday, November 22, 2010

Seeking input on how to land my first job in the wine industry.?

I posted this question earlier today, but after reading the responses, realized that I should have included some more pertinent information. So, here it goes... I'm looking for some direction on how I should be approaching a career change into the wine business. I need to earn a respectable living and do something stimulating. So, working in a tasting room at a winery seems to be out due to not enough income and dealing with the same 5-10 wines EVERY day. I'd ideally like to work for a distributor/importer or become a sommelier/assistant sommelier, but from my research, both of these positions require a few years of experience at a minimum. Does anyone know if I have any PRAYER of landing one of these types of jobs right off the bat with no experience? And if so, what do I have to do to land one? By no experience I am only referring to working in the wine business. I have been an avid wine lover for 6 years, have read many encyclopedic wine volumes, and really know my stuff!Seeking input on how to land my first job in the wine industry.?
Hmm... Well, I got my first wine job working in a retail store/wine bar, that would probably be the easiest to job to get. After some experience on that level, you can move up to other things. Depending on where you are in the country depends on how much they value wine knowledge in the distribution end of the business. For example, I lived in Milwaukee, WI for a number of years and the wine reps there knew there stuff. I currently live in South Florida and you would expect the same, but there are very few that know alot about wine down here. As far as a sommelier job, good luck they are very few and far between. I lucked out getting my last two positions, just the right place at the right time. If you want to get into the restaurant and sell to consumers, I suggestion taking some classes and read, read, read.. oh yeah tasting anything and everything doesn't hurt either.Seeking input on how to land my first job in the wine industry.?
Forget becoming a sommelier as that takes time, talent, training, and a lot of luck. You have to be able to taste the qualities and differences of the wine, describe it, sell it and pair it with food. Not an easy task even if you have been drinking it for years.



If you really want to do this, you'll most likely start off as a waiter and slowly work your way up. Attend wine classes and events hosted by wine companies. Eventually taking whatever tests are necessary to become an accredited sommelier. Then the fun really starts.



Most places can't afford one as these guys can command large salaries. Stick to the fancy hotels, the expensive restaurants and the places where the well heeled decide to dine and drop their money.
I have been working for a wine distributor/importer for a year plus now (first outside sales job) and I wish I had started in retail. I think at the retail level, tho usually salaried, one really gets a good education on wines in general. Working for a distributor, I am learning about our company's specialty--S. American wines. Wonderful wines, yes, but I don't get to experience other wines also. Hmmm...perhaps this is the opportunity for me to really dig in and become an expert in the area of S. American wines. Bye bye! Time to hit the books and the bottles!

No comments:

Post a Comment