Saturday, November 20, 2010

Can I sue My Mechanic?

Back in March I took my car (1992 Toyota Camry (150,000 miles) to my regular mechanic, who I've always taken my car to, for inspection. He had it for a couple of days and called me saying it passes, he just had to change one tire. I went to pick it up that day. I started the car and went to drive away, but the car stalled out and would not start back up. Let me add now, this car is old but has always been in almost perfect condition. Never have had any problems with it. I had driven it home from CT prior to my inspection to PA with not a single problem. Okay, so the mechanic tried to get it started without any luck. He said he would check it out and have it back for me in a couple of days. Almost 2 weeks went by before he got it back to me with my dad and I calling every day! He changed the distributor and plugs. When I finally got it back, I had to leave to get back to school. I drove it home and it was fine. The next day I had to go back to CT because my spring break was over. As I was driving, the car just didn't feel right. I drove about an hour before it felt like it was about to die. So, I had it towed back to the mechanic (since he would have to fix it free if it was something he did). My parents drove me back to school and the mechanic had my car for about another 2 weeks. My dad picked it up and it would run fine. Then, it started stalling all the time and not starting. It died when my dad was driving it one day and he had it towed back to the mechanic. My mechanic has now had my car parked in the same spot for over 2 months! My parents have a brand new car with over 8,000 miles on it because I have had to use it so much because mine is broken. The reason we havent gotten it and taken it somewhere else because we don't want to pay for something that he could have broken. So far he has changed the electical system, the fuel pump, and now THINKS it MIGHT be the computer. It seems to me that there is alot of guessing and not alot of working going on. I NEED my car back before August 23 and I cannot afford to go buy a new one. Can I take him to small claims court? How much could I fight for? and How long would it take since I only have 3 weeks left before I leave for school??? PLease HELP!Can I sue My Mechanic?
What is more important, being right,,,, or having your car. First, you may not be right, no matter how right you think you are. This is an intermidant problem, and when you find it, it 's going to be something that no mechanic would have reasonably found.



As hard as this is going to be to hear,,,,take it to the TOYO dealer. They have the most experience in fixing TOYO's, and have an idea about the things that have gone wrong on other TOYO's. Second, they have access to more fancy diagnostic tools, they can hook up the beast and drive around to see what the problem might be.



While the problem sounds electrical, it can be a number of things. For example, TOYO should have the ability to test your computer, rather than just replace the parts.



Don't hold this against your regualar mechanic,,,,,after all,,,,it sounds like one of the fluky things. Don't ruin a relationship where you trust this guy for other types of work. After all, at 150K, you have some future dates with him just around the corner. Can I sue My Mechanic?
take it somewhere else, if they say he broke it, send him a bill then...
Sue him for what? For being wrong? You would have to prove that any reasonable mechanic would have solved the problems differently and that seems unlikely. For taking too long? You imposed no time limits and your agreement didn't specify a time to completion. Failure is not grounds for a lawsuit. At 150000 miles, a lot of things go wrong. You are assuming that the problem was always the same but in truth you may have had all sorts of problems that just arose quickly. You would need a lot more info in order to have a valid complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment