Saturday, November 20, 2010

1973 pontiac v8 5.7liter loses power/gas - idles rough?

1973 Pontiac Lemans,V8, 5.7 liters 350 engine,double barrel carburetor. It feels like it loses power while I'm driving, like the gas doesnt flow continually. Power is still there, just feels like I let go the gas pedal for 1/2 second then it goes again. It's using a lot more gas than it normally did too.

Was finely tuned and I brought it to a mechanic to change my distributor, he had no idea how a manual choke works and really messed it up. Shortlyafter I brought it to a different mechanic and I think the idle might have been played with as they also didnt know how to use the choke properly. Ever since, it seems to perform worse everytime I take it out.

Past two rides it sounded like it backfired in the engine compartment when I accelerated to 60+mph. It also gurgles when I stop the engine. If I put it into park and shut the engine off quickly it backfires. Have to let it sit a few seconds before turning it off, that usually does the job. Any advice? + how to properly adjust idle1973 pontiac v8 5.7liter loses power/gas - idles rough?
one thing sounds like you have the fuel flow wide open that would explane for the gas usage and is probably timing of the distributor and another is your choke1973 pontiac v8 5.7liter loses power/gas - idles rough?
it sounds to me like they adjusted the timing and have messed it all up, how many miles is on the engine or the car if it is original? I would take it to someone that knows a little about classic cars and have them check the timing, I am sure that is all that is wrong.
  • thinning hair
  • emo myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment