Saturday, November 20, 2010

92 Honda civic, distributor is fully advanced but timing is still retarded, how do I achieve more advancement?

Changed the timing belt, belt is on correctly but I can't seem to get the timing to the red mark at 16 degrees BTDC. What can I check or adjust to advance the timing to the red mark on the crankshaft pulley?92 Honda civic, distributor is fully advanced but timing is still retarded, how do I achieve more advancement?
An adjustable pulley(s) came to mind at first but... I've never encountered that problem and I'd be troubled at taking any further steps as these are interference engines. Wrong place, wrong time, and you'll get to hear the valves take on the pistons at the first annual ';Ain't-ever-gonna-run-again'; gala event.



Before you go past factory adjustments, I _strongly_ urge you to have a competent friend or mechanic reverify the work thus far; those D-series engines are getting hard to find in running order...92 Honda civic, distributor is fully advanced but timing is still retarded, how do I achieve more advancement?
Be sure you are using the correct procedure (should be on a sticker on the underside of the hood). Just putting a timing light on the engine will result in erroneous readings.



Otherwise, re-re-check that timing belt. I always have a bit of a struggle to get the belt on right - it ends up one tooth off several times in a row and I end up deciding to put it on one tooth the other way to get it right. I blame the tensioner action for that difficulty.
  • pc system has slowed
  • cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment