Saturday, November 20, 2010

I have a 1986 pontiac 6000--it wont stay running--what to do?

I just bought it and it ran fine for 3 days-I got to work the other day and it cut-off on me-now it will start up but wont stay started unless i keep my foot on the gas. I had a mech look at it and he changed the plugs, they looked terrible! He checked fuel pressure, engine compression, and everything he could think of. He came to the conclusion that the engine compression is too low for the proper fuel/air mixture and said once the engine warms up it is fine. He also said that the plugs are mis-firing but I dont believe him--he didnt change the distributor coils and i think this may be the issue based on how bad he plugs were--what do dyou think?I have a 1986 pontiac 6000--it wont stay running--what to do?
Probably a vacuum valve that controls the ignition timing advance.



I hate to tell you but the Pontiac 6000 and Chevy Celebrity were two of the worst cars ever made. The unbelievable amount of emission controls on them gives them about ten thousand different ways to fail. I hope you didn't spend too much on it.I have a 1986 pontiac 6000--it wont stay running--what to do?
Thanks for the answer man, I only paid $650 for it, wish I wouldve just held back and saved my money though! I had someone tell me it could be the distributor, someone said it may need to have the engine rebuilt too! I think I might just try and sell it!

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment