Monday, June 6, 2011

Patch panel cabling?

I have rewired my house and have istalled the ';strucutred Home Networking Plus cabling panel '; from Leviton.



When the installer from the telephone company came yesterday, using the Cat3, 4 pair wire that I have used, he put the blue wire on the telephone module, which I believe is simply a seven way distributor, and used the orange pair, and gave me a seperate jack for the ADSL, and mounted it right below the panel.



How does that work, when I have only one number coming in, does not it work only on one pair of wire, should not have either only the blue, or orange be usable, or are all four pairs

delievering the service.



He also told me that the only jack that I can use to connect to my modem, will be this ADSL jack and none of the others.

How does this work. Does the change happen in this jack, or at the box outside.



Thanks for your answer.Patch panel cabling?
Your phone comes in the same pair as the DSL. Voice uses analog signals while DSL uses a digital signal. That's why they both come in the same pair. The filter is used to remove the noise the digital signal can cause on your analog. Hope this helps.



Update: He could've connected both pairs to the same line at the box outside your house and then to each jack. Have seen it done that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment