Monday, June 6, 2011

Excel help, need to update my product database?

so here is my situation.



I have a small business and I keep all my products on a database, about 1000-1200 products.



the distributor i order from sends out their excel sheet once a day with updated info {prices, descriptions, instock, etc.} but their data sheet has 20,000 + items on it.



if i have to buy software or an add-on that is fine, but here is my problem, i need to update my sheets by product name/UPC, NOT by row or column number.



lets say my upc is 123412341234, how would i have excel look at my sheet, and no matter what cell it is in, update the same row based off that upc. the column layout will never change, its the rows where the product is located that changes. so one day my upc 123412341234 might be row 5005, but next day it might be row 23, but it will always be COLUMN b, so how would i , or is there software that could recognize all of column B and say ';match upc in column B with upc in column C of distributor sheet'; and update all info in other columns of the same row accordingly';?



if this is confusing, try this.



product AAAA is 29.99, but distributor marked up priced to 39.99, so how do i update the price cell according to the product name?



thanksExcel help, need to update my product database?
Use the VLOOKUP function.



If column A on both sheets has the UPC numbers



Put this in B2 to look up the A2 UPC number within column A of the ';Distributor'; sheet and return the item from column B

=VLOOKUP($A2, 'Distributor'!A:G, 2, 0)



This will return column C for the lookup

=VLOOKUP($A2, 'Distributor'!A:G, 3, 0)



Excel: VLookup Function

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formul

No comments:

Post a Comment